Associate Professor of Physics, NYU Shanghai;
Global Network Associate Professor, NYU
Personal Page: http://wp.nyu.edu/moon
Pilkyung Moon is Associate Professor of Physics at NYU Shanghai.
Prior to joining NYU Shanghai, he was Research Fellow at Korea Institute for Advanced Study in 2013-2014 and assistant professor in Department of Physics at Tohoku University in 2011-2013. He holds a PhD from Seoul National University.
Moon’s research interests are condensed matter theory, electronic properties of atomically thin films (graphene, hBN, TMDs) with recent emphasis on the moiré interference between layers, semiconductor nanostructures (quantum well, quantum dot and quantum ring), and quantum Hall effect. His work has appeared in Nature, Science, Nature Nanotechnology, and Physical Review.
Moon is a member of the American Physical Society and the Korean Physical Society. He has also previously been the organizing member of the 2012 A3 Symposium of Emerging Materials: Nanomaterials for Energy and Environments and the scientific committee member of 2018 International Conference on Emergent Phenomena in Quantum materials.
Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, 2009
B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, 2001
Condensed matter theory
Atomically thin films (graphene, hBN, transition metal dichalcogenides)
Superlattice made by the moiré interference between layers (twisted bilayer graphene, graphene on hBN, multiwalled nanotubes)
- “Incommensurate double-walled carbon nanotubes as one-dimensional moiré crystals”, Mikito Koshino,* Pilkyung Moon,* and Young-Woo Son,* Phys. Rev. B 91, 035405 (2015). (*All authors equally contributed to this work.) (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.91.035405)
- "Optical absorption of twisted bilayer graphene with interlayer potential asymmetry". Moon, P., Son, Y. W., & Koshino, M. (2014). Physical Review B 90(15), 155427.
- "Electronic properties of graphene/hexagonal-boron-nitride moiré superlattice". Moon, P., & Koshino, M. (2014). Physical Review B 90(15), 155406.
- “Electronic properties of graphene/hexagonal-boron-nitride moiré superlattice”, Pilkyung Moon and Mikito Koshino, Phys. Rev. B 90, 155406 (2014). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.90.155406)
- “Optical absorption of twisted bilayer graphene with interlayer potential asymmetry”, Pilkyung Moon, Young-Woo Son, and Mikito Koshino, Phys. Rev. B 90, 155427 (2014). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.90.155427)
- “Optical properties of the Hofstadter butterfly in the moiré superlattice”, Pilkyung Moon and Mikito Koshino, Phys. Rev. B (Rapid Communications) 88, 241412(R) (2013). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.88.241412)
- “Massive Dirac fermions and Hofstadter butterfly in a van der Waals heterostructure”, B. Hunt, J. D. Sanchez-Yamagishi, A. F. Young, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, P. Moon, M. Koshino, P. Jarillo-Herrero, and R. C. Ashoori, Science 340, 1427 (2013). (doi: 10.1126/science.1237240)
- “Hofstadter’s butterfly in moiré superlattice: A fractal quantum Hall effect”, C. R. Dean, L. Wang, P. Maher, C. Forsythe, F. Ghahari, Y. Gao, J. Katoch, M. Ishigami, P. Moon, M. Koshino, T. Taniguchi, K. Watanabe, K. L. Shepard, J. Hone, and P. Kim, Nature 497, 598 (2013). (doi: 10.1038/nature12186)
- “Optical absorption in twisted bilayer graphene”, Pilkyung Moon and Mikito Koshino, Phys. Rev. B 87, 205404 (2013). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.87.205404)
- “The effect of post-growth thermal annealing on the emission spectra of GaAs/AlGaAs quantum dots grown by droplet epitaxy”, Pilkyung Moon, J. D. Lee, S. K. Ha, E. H. Lee, W. J. Choi, J. D. Song, J. S. Kim, and L. S. Dang, Phys. Status Solidi RRL 6, 445 (2012). (doi: 10.1002/pssr.201206369)
- “Energy spectrum and quantum Hall effect in twisted bilayer graphene”, Pilkyung Moon and Mikito Koshino, Phys. Rev. B 85, 195458 (2012). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.85.195458)
- “Electrically driven singularity and control of carrier spin of a hybrid quantum well”, Pilkyung Moon, Won Jun Choi, and J. D. Lee, Phys. Rev. B 83, 165450 (2011). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.83.165450)
- “Anomalous strain profiles and electronic structures of a GaAs-capped InAs/In0.53Ga0.47As quantum ring”, Pilkyung Moon, Won Jun Choi, Kwangmin Park, Euijoon Yoon, and JaeDong Lee, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 103701 (2011). (doi: 10.1063/1.3580291)
- “Ultrafast optical excitation of coherent phonons in a one-dimensional metal at the photoinduced insulator-metal transition”, J. D. Lee, Pilkyung Moon, and Muneaki Hase, Phys. Rev. B 84, 195109 (2011). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.84.195109)
- “Type-I-Type-II Hybrid Quantum Well with Tunable Hole g-factor”, P. Moon, J. D. Lee, and W. J. Choi, AIP Conf. Proc. 1399, 707 (2011). (doi: 10.1063/1.3666573)
- “Theoretical and Experimental Studies of the Effects of Rapid Thermal Annealing in GaAs/AlGaAs Quantum Dots Grown by Droplet Epitaxy”, P. Moon, S.-K. Ha, J. D. Song, J. Y. Lim, S. Bounouar, F. Donatini, L. S. Dang, J. P. Poizat, J. S. Kim, W. J. Choi, I. K. Han, and J. I. Lee, AIP Conf. Proc. 1399, 425 (2011). (doi: 10.1063/1.3666435)
- “Anisotropic enhancement of piezoelectricity in the optical properties of laterally coupled InAs/GaAs self-assembled quantum dots”, Pilkyung Moon, Euijoon Yoon, Weidong Sheng, and Jean-Pierre Leburton, Phys. Rev. B 79, 125325 (2009). (doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.79.125325; and Virt. J. of Nanoscale Science and Technology 19 issue 15 (2009))
- “Anomalous strain relaxation and light-hole character enhancement in GaAs capped InAs/In0.53Ga0.47As quantum ring”, Pilkyung Moon, Kwangmin Park, Euijoon Yoon, and Jean-Pierre Leburton, Phys. Status Solidi RRL 3, 76 (2009). (doi: 10.1002/pssr.200802277 (Journal cover. doi: 10.1002/pssr.200990003))
- “The Electronic Structures of In-Rich InGaN Quantum Well”, Pilkyung Moon, Hee Jin Kim, Soon-Yong Kwon, Euijoon Yoon, Seoung-Hwan Park, and Jean-Pierre Leburton, AIP Conf. Proc. 893, 391 (2007). (doi: 10.1063/1.2729930)
- “Complete suppression of large InAs island formation on GaAs by metal organic chemical vapor deposition with periodic AsH3 interruption”, Youngsoo Lee, Eungjun Ahn, Jungsub Kim, Pilkyung Moon, Changjae Yang, Euiyoon Yoon, Hyunjin Lim, and Hyeonsik Cheong, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 033105 (2007). (doi: 10.1063/1.2432285)
- “Strong near-ultraviolet and blue emissions at room temperature from two-step grown In-rich InGaN/GaN multiple quantum wells”, S.-Y. Kwon, S.-I. Baik, H. J. Kim, P. Moon, Y.-W. Kim, J.-W. Yoon, H. Cheong, Y.-S. Park, and E. Yoon, Micro & Nano Letters 1, 53 (2006). (doi: 10.1049/mnl:20065023)
- “Electronic structures of laterally coupled self-assembled quantum dot structures”, Pilkyung Moon, Euijoon Yoon, and Jean-Pierre Leburton, Proceedings of 2005 5th IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology 1, 92 (2005). (doi: 10.1109/NANO.2005.1500700)
- “Effects of thin GaAs insertion layer on InAs/(InGaAs)/InP (001) quantum dots grown by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition”, Kwangmin Park, Pilkyung Moon, Eungjin Ahn, Sukwon Hong, Euijoon Yoon, Jeong Won Yoon, Hyeonsik Cheong, and Jean-Pierre Leburton, Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 233110 (2005). (doi: 10.1063/1.1943494)
- “Near-UV emission from In-rich InGaN/GaN single quantum well structure with compositional grading”, S.-Y. Kwon, M.-H. Cho, P. Moon, H. J. Kim, H. Na, H.-C. Seo, H. J. Kim, Y. Shin, D. W. Moon, Y. Sun, Y.-H. Cho and E. Yoon, Phys. Status Solidi A 201, 2818 (2004). (doi: 10.1002/pssa.200405076)