Associate Professor of Practice in Mathematics
Laurent Mertz is an Associate Professor of Practice at NYU Shanghai. Prior to joining NYU Shanghai, he was Courant instructor / visiting assistant professor at Courant Institute at New York University. He holds a Ph.D. from University of Paris VI, a M.Eng. / Diplôme d'Ingénieur from Ecole des Ponts, Paristech and a B.Sc. from University of Strasbourg.
In 2012, Professor Mertz was awarded the EADS foundation’s best thesis prize in mathematics and interactions.
Professor Mertz’s research interests are applied stochastic analysis, random mechanics, reflected diffusions and nonlocal elliptic operators. His work has appeared in SIAM numerical Analysis, Asymptotic Analysis, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, Applied Mathematics Research eXpress, Comptes Rendus Mathematique and ESAIM: proceedings and Surveys.
- A. Bensoussan, C. Feau, L. Mertz, S.C.P. Yam, An analytical approach for the growth rate of the variance of the deformation related to an elasto-plastic oscillator excited by a white noise,Applied Mathematics Research eXpress 2015 (1), 99-128
- M. Lauriere, L. Mertz, Penalization of a stochastic variational inequality modeling an elasto-plastic problem with noise, ESAIM Procs, published online 03/2015
- A. Bensoussan, L. Mertz, Degenerate Dirichlet problems related to the ergodic property of an elasto-plastic oscillator excited by a filtered white noise, IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, published online 12/2014
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics
University of Paris VI, 2011
- M.Eng., Applied Mathematics
Ecole des Ponts, Paristech, 2008
- B.Sc., Mathematics
University of Strasbourg, 2005