Assistant Professor of Information Systems and Business Analytics, NYU Shanghai
Global Network Assistant Professor, NYU
Bruno Abrahao is an Assistant Professor of Information Systems and Business Analytics, NYU Shanghai; Global Network Assistant Professor, NYU. Professor Abrahao holds a PhD in Computer Science from Cornell University and an appointment as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Stanford University, with affiliations in the Computer Science and Socioloy departments.
Professor Abrahao's research focuses on theoretical and applied aspects of Data Science and Machine Learning to investigate social behavior, the role of technology and Artificial Intelligence in the social systems, and the structure of information systems that evolve in organic ways. His research methods include the analysis of complex, big data, such as networks and high dimensional structures, the analysis of algorithms, and the design and analysis of online randomized experiments.
Research interests: Data Science and Machine Learning, Network and Big Data Analysis, Computational Social Science
- B. Abrahao, P. Parigi, A. Gupta, K.S. Cook, Reputation offsets trust judgments based on social biases among Airbnb users, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 2017 [Full Text] [pdf] [The Exchange Project] [Simulate your participation in the experiment] [TED talk based on this research]
- B. Abrahao, P. Parigi, A. Gupta, K.S. Cook, Trust is Extensible: An Online Experiment on Airbnb's User Population, 3rd Annual International Conference on Computational Social Science , Cologne, Germany, 2017
- B. Abrahao, P. Parigi, Computational Social Science, To appear in The Oxford Handbook of Social Networks, Oxford Press, 2016.
- B. State, B. Abrahao, K.S. Cook, Power Imbalance and Rating Systems, In Proceedings of the 10th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM), Cologne, Germany, 2016 [pdf]
- T. Lin, B. Abrahao, R. Kleinberg, J. Lui, W. Chen, Combinatorial Partial Monitoring Game with Linear Feedback and Its Applications, In Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML'14), Beijing, China, 2014 [pdf][supplementary material]
- B. Abrahao, S. Soundarajan, J. Hopcroft, R. Kleinberg, A Separability Framework for Analyzing Community Structure, ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD), 2014 [pdf]
- B. Abrahao, F. Chierichetti, R. Kleinberg, A. Panconesi, Trace Complexity of Network Inference, In Proceedings of the 19th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD’13),Chicago, IL, 2013 [pdf] [extended version ] [slides]
- B. Abrahao, S. Soundarajan, J. Hopcroft, R. Kleinberg, On the Separability of Structural Classes of Communities, In Proceedings of the 18th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD’12), Beijing, China, 2012 [pdf] [video-ad] [slides]
- B. State, B. Abrahao, K.S. Cook, From Power to Status in Online Exchange, In Proceedings of the 4th ACM International Conference on Web Science, Evanston, IL, USA, 2012 Best Extended Abstract Award [pdf] [slides]
- B. Abrahao and R. Kleinberg, On the Internet Delay Space Dimensionality, In Proceedings of the 8th ACM/SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC'08), Athens, Greece, 2008 [pdf] [slides]
- B. Abrahao and R. Kleinberg, Brief Announcement: On the Internet Delay Space Dimensionality, In Proceedings of the 27th Annual ACM SIGACT-SIGOPS ACM SIGACT SIGOPS Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (PODC), Toronto, Canada, 2008 [pdf]
- B. Abrahao, V. Almeida, J. Almeida, A. Zhang, D. Beyer, F. Safai, Self-Adaptive SLA-Driven Capacity Management for Internet Services, In Proceedings of the 10th IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS), Vancouver, Canada, 2006 [pdf] [slides]
- B. Abrahao, Autonomous Business-Driven Capacity Management for Internet Data Centers, Thesis and Dissertation Contest, Brazilian Computer Science Society (SBC), 2006
- B. Abrahao, A. Zhang, Characterizing Application Workloads on CPU Utilization for Utility Computing, Tech Report HPL-2004-157, HP Labs, Palo Alto, CA, USA September, 2004 [pdf]
- R. Fonseca, V. Almeida, M. Crovella, B. Abrahao, On the Intrinsic Locality Properties of Web Reference Streams, In Proceedings of the 22th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM) , San Francisco, CA, USA, 2003 [pdf] [slides]
- D. Menasce, B. Abrahao, D. Barbara, V. Almeida and F. Ribeiro, Fractal Characterization of Web Workloads, In Proceedings of the Eleventh International World Wide Web Conference (WWW2002) , Honolulu, HI, USA 2002 Best Paper Award Finalist [html] [www2002.pdf]
- D. Menasce, B. Abrahao, D. Barbara, V. Almeida and F. Ribeiro, Characterizing E-Business Workloads Using Fractal Methods, Journal of Web Engineering, Vol. N. 1, pp 74-90 , November 2002.
Postdoctoral Fellow in Computer Science and Sociology, Stanford University
Ph.D. in Computer Science, Cornell University